Skip to main content

How do you convert your rear brakes to the large early vw/porsche 5 bolt (without going to disc brakes). What VW set up is being used? Early drum?

Has anyone ever used wheel adaptors 4 to 5 bolt. I was on the Fibersteel web site and looked at some drum skins. They show a picture of an inverted adaptor (on what appears to be a late 4-bolt durm), some spacers and wheel skins. What's the deal?

I know I can buy 5- bolt disc brake kits for the front but want to keep drums in the rear.

Any suggestions?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

How do you convert your rear brakes to the large early vw/porsche 5 bolt (without going to disc brakes). What VW set up is being used? Early drum?

Has anyone ever used wheel adaptors 4 to 5 bolt. I was on the Fibersteel web site and looked at some drum skins. They show a picture of an inverted adaptor (on what appears to be a late 4-bolt durm), some spacers and wheel skins. What's the deal?

I know I can buy 5- bolt disc brake kits for the front but want to keep drums in the rear.

Any suggestions?
Heiko,

Using adapters is possible however, they may cause your tires to rub as they increase the rear track about 1/2 to 3/4" per side. The best deal is to do as Mike did and buy 5 bolt drums. You'll need to know if you have narrow or long axles. """Ususally""" if you have a late model Beck, you have wide axles, I believe that Vintage uses narrow axles. Not sure what ThuderRanch does. Also, in my case, I had long axles and the Standard Mangels wheels have too much of an offset requiring my 5 1/2" rear wheels to be cut and re-welded reducing the offset. I got the entire kit to convert my car from Greg at Vintage. Greg had the rear wheels cut and re-welded and you can't tell the difference. 4 1/2 wheels will work without rubbing.

Make sure that you tighten the drum axle nut retainer to 275+ pound feet otherwise, you'll wobble the splines and be cruising for an accident.

The drum skins ""should"" fit the drums otherwise, buy some high heat paint and paint them a flat aluminum color.

I recently converted my Beck to the wide 5 pattern and I have disc's all around with drumskins. Really added to the "looks" of the car.
Photo's available here:

www.spyderclub.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5022&sid=55a32c5b68ca8fc5b30e52015380dbf2
Drumskins do fit wide-5 brake drums, they are made for them. And they look really good, too, unlike factory VW drums. I don't have nor will I install hubcaps, I feel it just looks better without them. Larry, did you also get the skins for the front? They are the same fronts as I have, if you got them from Greg. I only have rear skins.
Yes, I did get front and rear skins to cover my disc's.

I also drilled out the rivets on the wheels that hold the 5 hubcap spring clips. It looks a lot better the clips removed and keeps the un-informed from asking why the hub caps aren't installed. The original wheels didn't have hub cap clips

Also, some of the early 5 bolt drums have radial strengthening ribs that may interfere with the skins so make sure you get the late 5 bolt drums that have a smooth face.
Thanks for the help. I have a late model swing axle. The 67 type 1 set up for the rear sounds like the plan. I will use the wide five disc brakes for the front (with lowered spindles, to get some of my front suspension back). The irony of it all is that I sold my 67 convertible cal look bug after I bought my Spyder...I had converted it to porsche bolt pattern 4-wheel discs...threw all the other drum stuff away. Luckily rear drums and hardware is cheap.

Thanks again.
I've converted 4 to 5 bolts on the SAME DRUM a number of times. All you have to do is go a machine shop with one of your 5 bolt wheels and the 4 bolt drums.....have the guy drill 5 holes and install 14mm threaded studs. I've done this twice here in Mexico with a cost of $80.00 for the 20 threaded holes. If you need more imfo, let me know, Dominick
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.