Skip to main content

TRP posted:

Frankly, I lost all the steam on the entire project after and the ups and downs over 15 or 16 months.  Part of the issue is that I've hardly driven the car in the past 21 months. I think I only put 2300 miles on the 2054 I picked up in December of 2015!  My life sort of moved on to many other things in that time frame. 

I've had MANY people offer to buy the trans. Unfortunately I'm into it for a good bit more than you can buy one from Rancho.  I went with pretty much all new everything. I think we re-used the axles and the tubes. Everything else was new.  I also paid to have one of the best builders I could find.  I can't argue about the final product, it looks amazing.  

I just urge everyone to make sure they know what they are getting into before they jump into a 5 speed.  I think Anthony tried to warn me. 

Ted's core trans was largely just worn out, and he spent a good chunk of cash on new parts inside. That's the problem with a lot of cores in places where the weather is (relatively) great year-round; the core cars have been driven more or less continually for 30, 40, even 50 or more years, accumulating huge mileage, engines and even transaxles rebuilt several times along the way and finding a core trans that isn't worthless can be a challenge. The trans you're thinking of rebuilding could have 400,000? 500,000? or more??? miles on it and be out of an almost 60 year old car!

Even the trans shops (Rancho, Wright, and anyone else in the sun belt who specializes in these things) are having the same issues, quite often having to use more than 1 core for parts, and my friend Bruce, who has disassembled a fair number of transaxles for local guys that have bought from these "reputable builders" down south (and are now having problems after not a lot of miles) is seeing a lot of stuff that's "barely passable".

If you live in an area where cars actually rust out, this can be a blessing in disguise. If you're looking for a core, whether for a Berg 5 or to rebuild as a replacement (and even find that coveted 3.88 r&P, which will save you $300), a lot of lower mileage transaxles are out there, taken out of rusted out cars and hoarded away. You're far better off, instead of buying a cheap $50 "core" with the verbal re-assurance that "of course it will be good for a rebuild", to pay 150 or $200 for something you've drained the oil out of and had a look at to make sure it's not trashed. If, when draining the oil it's substantially short on fluid, walk away because it's junk inside pretty well from one end to the other (and you can  guess how I know this!). If you work with the local trans guru he'll be much more willing to help you with this, knowing he's getting work out of it. Any deal you make will just be dependent on your guy draining the oil and pulling the gear section out. As I said, you'll pay a little more up-front, but you could save 1,000- $2,000 (or more!).

Ted- the thing's built; go to the trouble of putting it in the car and drive it! If it doesn't rekindle your love for the car, then do whatever, let it sit, sell it with the 5 speed or sell them separate, but DRIVE THE FRIGGIN' THING FIRST!!!!

And if you're done with it you'll know.

Last edited by ALB

Add Reply

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.