Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I didn't get good enough pics of it but the engine compartment was completely sealed. Unlike the replicas it had tin at the bottom. This was an opportunity that I missed. I should have taken more detailed photos for the replica builders of these cars. There were so many people wanting to take photos that it was like "get the phone in there and take the pic and get away from the car"!

Bob: IM S6 posted:

Beautiful car, but I would have other things on which to spend five million bucks. 

I'll keep my replica Speedster, and drive it as I want. 

There's something sacreligous about a car being worth so much it doesn't get driven (off the trailer, onto the show field and back onto the trailer don't count!!!). They shouldn't be "garage art".

Last edited by ALB
Bob: IM S6 posted:

She was never meant to be driven - but then, who knows what she was like?

As for the five million $ for that Spyder, I predict in about fifteen to twenty years, when the current generation of collectors passes on, those cars will be worth a lot less.

I'd sell the bloody thing now, but then, I could use the money...

I had a very brief conversation with the owner. I said that I could not believe he drove the car here and not trucked it in and that I would have expected a small security detail around the car. His reply was "It's just a car. If it gets dented you fix it" in what sounded like an aussie accent.  

Michael B (aka bluespeedster SoCal) posted:

Super great PIC's Rusty, you did much better than I did. There were so many people just drawling over the car that picture taking was a pain.

That's funny you said that. While I was looking at the car a guy came up to the owner and handed him a microfiber rag. He said it's to wipe the drool off the car!! I was pissed that I didn't come up with that one.

Last edited by Rusty S

Sad thing is in the late '60s' you could buy a 550 for peanuts! No one wanted them! Same with the 1965 Cobra Coupes that had just won the Championship in France! Imagine they were considering just leaving them in France as old junk! Thank God I grew up in the late '50's and '60's when they were JUST cars! In 1976 I tore my hair out trying to think of a way to buy a 1957 356A Speedster updated with ALL SC running gear for $4,500 at Allred Brothers Porsche in Glendale !  in the 1970's 300SL Gullwing MB's were about $4,500 ! Now days most of these cars are owned by people who only see them as an "investment" and not a "fun Sports Car"! Then there are my 356 buddies who just "drive 'em and if they get dinged or broken fix 'em and keep on drivin them!"

Add Reply

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.