Skip to main content

Hallo again,
I am 195cm tall (that is about 6.4 feet) I once sat in a Chamonix Spyder (equivalent to Beck I guess) and this condition was definately a no-go!!! I had the feeling I was driving this car with my knees behind my ears! :-) I saw some remarks in this forum of manufacturers who can move back the firewall a few inches. Is this offered by all of them or just particular ones?
Thanks in advance!
Stefan
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hallo again,
I am 195cm tall (that is about 6.4 feet) I once sat in a Chamonix Spyder (equivalent to Beck I guess) and this condition was definately a no-go!!! I had the feeling I was driving this car with my knees behind my ears! :-) I saw some remarks in this forum of manufacturers who can move back the firewall a few inches. Is this offered by all of them or just particular ones?
Thanks in advance!
Stefan
Stefan,
Moving the firewall back looks pretty easy. Most of these cars already come with a cove built into the firewall so the seat can lean further back. You would have a problem moving it much more because even though the fireall itself is back, the top of the body ahead of the engine cover is fixed without MAJOR re-work. Drop the seat down thru the floor (re-work the floor) and put the pedals as far forward as possible perhaps even re-working that area to accomodate your leg length.

Unfortunately, I think you will still have some issues. My husband is 6'2 and the top of the windshield is directly in his line of site. His head is above the glass and bears solid evidence of bug strikes after a drive...

The solution in our house was to give me - the short one - the car. I'm quite happy with that solution.
angela
I'm "only" 6 feet, but much of my height is in my trunk as opposed to my legs. I had the "bugs above the eyebrow" problem and discovered that it's possible to "rake" the seat by shortening the rear mounting bolts and shims and lengthening the front ones. This tilts the top of the seat back and, in my case, lowers my forehead below the windshield frame.

At the same time, raising the front of the seat could cause problems for those with longer legs in that your knees may hit the steering wheel.

It's really a trial and error process....Lot's of unbolting, cutting, bolting up, cussing, unbolting, cutting, bolting up, cussing etc...But you can experiment with different thickness of wood blocks under the seats just to see if it's feasable.

TMc
Stefan,
you need to try out the new Classic Roadsters 550A currently undergoing a revamp for wishbone front as well as rear suspension.
Available from their base in the UK, but also available in LHD in mainland Europe.

One of the criteria of the revamp was that drivers of 6'4" should be able to drive the car in comfort - without resort to the mods that others have carried out. The reason that these mods are neccessary is that the cars almost without exception have all been splashed from the same original kit, with hardly any thought to some innovitive input by the "new" manufacturer.

Well the Classic Roadsters 550 started out with a clean sheet of paper as far as the chassis was concerned. So not only is it designed as a chassis first and underpinnings for a 550 replica second - but has also been designed to be ergonomically acceptable for people of "normal" proportions.
Check out www.classicroadsters.co.uk
Beachcomber
Hi Beachbomber,
I checked the webside you had recommended but there is not too much on the 550 in there. No details, no prices, no information on dealers over here in Germany. Do you know more? Otherwise I will just send them an email I guess.
.... and Bert unfortunately over here in Germany you will find Chamonix only besides the famous repros on Skoda and VW chassis. So not much too compare with! :-)
Stefan
Stefan: I'm also 6'4" and was very nervous buying a car without actually being able to drive it. I sat in Keving Murphy's car,the only Spyder in my area that had been modified by moving the firewall back a few inches. I found that I was not very comfortable, but I fit and I would be able to drive the car. Now as my car was being modified I was wondering how I would make it comfortalbe for me. To my surprise, with the seat not on rails, but bolted directly to the floor, as far back as it could go, I was VERY comfortable, thanks to Greg at Vintage Spyders, who did a great job. Good luck, Karl Dempwolf
I second this post. I am 6-3 with a 36" inseam and with a Vintage with the firewall cut back and the seat rail removed the position is acceptable. The longest trip has been 180 miles and it was OK. I could move the pedals back another 1-1 1/2" if I can ever find the time. Norv
I second this post. I am 6-3 with a 36" inseam and with a Vintage with the firewall cut back and the seat rail removed the position is acceptable. The longest trip has been 180 miles and it was OK. I could move the pedals back another 1-1 1/2" if I can ever find the time. Norv
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.