Skip to main content

i just bought a 550 Spyder.  Should be coming to my home in a week.  I have been looking for a few months and hopefully i made the right choice.  I had a 356 super wide body.  After driving one of the coolest cars i have ever owned i decided i wanted a real Porsche 911.  So i sold the wide body. Bought a 1978 911 targa and decided to do a full restore after i found out the motor had a broken head stud.  The body is getting a back date which is almost done.  The motor is getting built by Ed Pink Racing.  Been there over a year already.  

Back to the spyder

I want to change the interior carpet to black and i think Beck sells a kit.  Didn't see any on the VMC site.

My big question is this:  The wheels are fuchs with a narrow 5 pattern (5x130) I want to change the wheels to be more period correct.  So do i buy the wide 5 (5X205) steelies and use adapters to fit onto the narrow 5 pattern i have now or

do i buy the steelies that are 5x130.  which are better if you have 4 wheel disc brakes from what i have read?

Also thinking of doing a tartan style pattern for the seats.

I am sure I will have more questions once the car gets home.

Once i get her home i will post pics.

Thanks in advance.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@ford356outlaw congrats on scoring on a 550 Spyder. Hopefully when you get that bad-boy we can scare up a few local SOCers for a cruise through Mulholland (or wherever).

Would also like to follow the progress on your 78SC Targa. I had a  78 Targa years ago and had blast with it. Broken head studs was one of the common problems for these particular 911s. A few of the upgrades on ours was an airbox with pop-off valve (cracked one when backfire on a cold start), significantly improved shifting with WEVO parts and upgraded to hydraulic cam chain tensioners. Logged 200K fun-filled miles on that car before selling.

Road trip ...TargaTiogaPCA autocross...TargaAXTargaBra

Anyway, hope our paths cross at one of our local SOC cruises.  

Attachments

Images (3)
  • TargaTioga
  • TargaAX
  • TargaBra
@MusbJim posted:

@ford356outlaw congrats on scoring on a 550 Spyder. Hopefully when you get that bad-boy we can scare up a few local SOCers for a cruise through Mulholland (or wherever).

Would also like to follow the progress on your 78SC Targa. I had a  78 Targa years ago and had blast with it. Broken head studs was one of the common problems for these particular 911s. A few of the upgrades on ours was an airbox with pop-off valve (cracked one when backfire on a cold start), significantly improved shifting with WEVO parts and upgraded to hydraulic cam chain tensioners. Logged 200K fun-filled miles on that car before selling.

Road trip ...TargaTiogaPCA autocross...TargaAXTargaBra

Anyway, hope our paths cross at one of our local SOC cruises.  

@MusbJim love the pictures and crazy curls 🏄‍♂️👍😎

for the targa and the Mustang.

A man of your taste will want wide-5s on his Spyder, as they are correct.*

That said, one of the most photographed and coveted 550s—chassis 0090—wore 5 x130 wheels for a significant part of its life in the 1960s and early '70s (per Road & Track's 1971 feature on it).

In the early days of Porsche disc brakes they were considered a major upgrade to the older cars, back when guys were still club racing them. And they don't look bad at all, imho.

*You may or may not want to spring for the unobtanium 16-inch versions.

FYI, @ford356outlaw Replica Spyders usually have staggered wheels. 4.5" wide in the front and 5.5" out back. You will not be able to fit 5.5s in the front, so if you choose to run 4.5s all around, you might use some spacers in the rear.

The offset on the fronts on the steel wheels are not deep enough and you could get some fender rub in hard corners. Especially the front right. I don't know about the 130 spaced wheels.

The Vintage 190 aluminum 4.5s have a little deeper offset that helps with this, and they look pretty good, and are about 12lbs lighter per wheel than the steel wheels. A lot of us Spyder owners have gone to them. I still do get a rub here and there, but I'm a little more aggressive in the turns though, and I live in the mountains with very tight, twisty, and not so smooth roads.

Tire selection is very limited to none in our size. At least for anything that might be considered performance tires. A few of us were lucky enough to get hold of the last Vredestein Sportracs in the country. They are sticky, cheap, and fantastic. Vredestein does make a tire that might be worthy if you were running 4.5s all around, but that tire doesn't come in staggered sizes.

I used to get an occasional rub with spirited driving and the factory(skinny) front anti-sway.

I don't get any rub now either solo or with my wife as passenger. I've got a custom 16mm bar that I made. But in NC, I did get a couple rubs(on the right front, sorry, but that's the truth) with Stan riding shotgun.

You can run 4.5" Vintage 190 all around, but you'd really need a LONG swing axle for the back. It's much more common to have a short swing axle and 5.5" wheel in the back.

Usual tires are 185/65R15 or 165/80R15 F and 195 or 205/60R15 in the back. I run 22F/25R pressure.

@chines1 posted:

@DannyP The Vintage 190 alloys are wider than the steels (+10mm per wheel IIRC).  Greg once told me he runs  narrowed front beam to offset this, although that fact is not advertised anywhere that I've seen.  Is your front beam narrowed?

That makes, sense, as the aluminum needs to be a little thicker than steel.

Yes, my beam is 2" narrowed. Mine was the first car to have this, but it's MOSTLY due to the Airkewld brakes which add about 3/4" per side.

I would think Greg only does 1" narrowed for most guys for the aluminum wheels, I am pretty sure that the usual cast-iron EMPI barbell brakes don't add any(maybe 3/8"?) width. This would set the track very nicely I'd think.

If my brakes were narrower(like stock) my wheels would be set too far in for my liking.

I'm very pleased with my setup, it really works well.

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.