Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

To make it easy for the public to figure out that it isn't a fiberglass "kit car"?

To raise the bar for the reproduction guys attempting to create a 'spot-on, total authentic replica'? - "Lets see them try to copy the look of bare aluminum in their fiberglass!"

The hierarchy in car circles, from Deuce bodies to Auburn Speedsters to Cobras: metal trumps glass every time, leading to how some guys with fiberglass cars try to fake 'rust patina' into the paint - to make you think it IS metal, and bring their 'authenticity' up a notch?

Hmm, let's see. That replica in the video: Karmann Ghia license light, "humpback" over-arched rear fenders, wrong gas filler placement, black wiper arms, glass windshield(arched from Speedster, not flat across the cowl), and non-setback firewall behind the seats. All 100% replica.

I would think raw aluminum is lighter, and isn't that really the point in a race car? Lighter is faster.

Does anyone have race car knowledge why some 550 Spyders have raw aluminium interior nowadays?
I understand, none of the originals were delivered this way. Is there a reason to have it that way now?

You're darned right. Nobody needs raw aluminum in their cars.

Or manual transmissions. Or retro gauges. Or uncomfortable seats. Or wide-5s. Or racy engines. As a matter of fact, nobody really needs a Speedster or Spyder at all - a 1999 Geo Metro with a slush-box and a wind-up key on the hatchback would probably be sufficient for anybody's needs.

Good thing nobody's making you put that aluminum in your car.

Last edited by Stan Galat
@Stan Galat posted:

You're darned right. Nobody needs raw aluminum in their cars.

Or manual transmissions. Or retro gauges. Or uncomfortable seats. Or wide-5s. Or racy engines. As a matter of fact, nobody really needs a Speedster or Spyder at all - a 1999 Geo Metro with a slush-box and a wind-up key on the hatchback would probably be sufficient for anybody's needs.

Good thing nobody's making you put that aluminum in your car.

Screenshot_20221223-181437-362ma4zn7lwfuo11

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Screenshot_20221223-181437-362
  • ma4zn7lwfuo11
@edsnova posted:

Probably have to ask a guy who owns one but my guess is that a lot of the cars had their interior trim stripped out soon after they were delivered and a lot of collectors like them restored or maintained “as-raced” in period.

Well, I was trying to involve the group especially individuals that had racing knowledge.
But it seems like a few GateKeepers on here want to monopolize the conversations

Last edited by americanworkmule
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.