Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

HI Shane,

I just got my 550 registered yesterday and today it goes in for a complete restoration for the next 5 months! I live in Melbourne and I have been trying to source a 550 for the last 4 years, and you are right - to get DOTARS approval to import one in is a nightmare. There is a guy in NZ who is an agent for Automotive Legends in the states who is going through it all now to bring them into Australia. I was just about to bring one in myself, but it would only be able to be club registered not road registered. By luck I found one locally which was bought in from NZ and I was able to get it road registered. The shape is right, but everything else is wrong - I have half a container of parts coming over from the states to get it to an original 550. Happy to answer any question as I live 550s!

thanks Andrew
Andrew your posts are good. I am currently looking at buying a chamonix spyder from NZ. They are all built in 2006. How have you managed to get your car fully road legal? Is it because it is on a VW pan? I had thought Mcrae cars had a custom chassis? I wold be keen to be in touch with the Perth owner as well to hear his rego adventures.

Currently i am thinking the best way to get the car into OZ is as parts - that is without the drive train as a local engineer has advised that the current factory fresh VW will not meet 2006 ADR's well that's obvious. This leaves little choice with motors but to go for a subie transplant. What are your thoughts and who makes install kits? My preference is for an ACVW with mods. One of which is twin plug head as i am contemplating getting a set for my 912.

Also with the rear deck lid controversy are you saying the beck/chamonix cars aren't quite proportioned?

I too have been looking for a Mcrae kit for sometime and with no luck to date. I had also contacted the NZ kit car buffs and no success. Had heard that the spyder moulds are damaged. Michel (canberra)

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.