Skip to main content

@Lane Anderson. What I’ve found when re-registering my Speedster is that all 50 states and PR share DMV info pretty seamlessly so it’s easy for them to cross-reference a lot of info, but, as Carey mentioned, each state can issue their unique VIN and be recognized by all other states.  SC’s VIN starts with “SC” and Massachusetts with “MA”.   You seldom see those VINs because they’re only assigned to special cases like replicas or some Hot Rods so there aren’t many.  

In SC they use the chassis number supplied by the builder so I think there would be a problem, but only if the dip Lucy numbers were both registered in the state.  I doubt that the states talk to each other, hence the lack of an issue to date.

I’m pretty sure that by now most states are connected to the DoT database. It’s what prevents you from registering a <25 year old ROW car. The nice lady at the DMV enters the VIN and it kicks it out as non-compliant.

Now whether that same database would recognize a duplicate VIN (without the original being reported as stolen) I haven’t a clue.

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.