Skip to main content

Please excuse the cross posting but I should have placed this in Spyderowners, not Speedsterowners in the first place...

I decided to add a 550 style brake to my Spyder. The two people who advertise these for sale seem to be out of stock. Or have a 6 month backorder. So, I decided to make my own. This is pretty much a prototype here but I may make some more if I can figure out a way to make them with a reasonable amount of work.....several people seem interested in these brake handles for both Spyders and Speedsters.
1955 Other/Unknown(Roadster)
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Please excuse the cross posting but I should have placed this in Spyderowners, not Speedsterowners in the first place...

I decided to add a 550 style brake to my Spyder. The two people who advertise these for sale seem to be out of stock. Or have a 6 month backorder. So, I decided to make my own. This is pretty much a prototype here but I may make some more if I can figure out a way to make them with a reasonable amount of work.....several people seem interested in these brake handles for both Spyders and Speedsters.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • my brake 1
  • my brake 2
Al,

Just FYI but in reponse to your question we are still at the prototype stage of building these. I ordered 12 sets of plasma cut plates a couple of days ago, so I should have those in about 2 weeks. After the parts are cut we have to build the fixtures etc. So, we are a few weeks away from having anything for sale.

We are also looking locally for a welder who will do professional welding of the assmeblies. My welding work isn't good enough IMHO, so we have a candidate we need to try out with a 2nd prototype this week.

If we can turn out a decent product we will be advertising them here as well as the Spyderclub.....
Al and Dom,

We did put our model into a small "production". The first lot of 12 was sold out before it was completed. A second and third lot(s) have been completed other than powder coating, the parts are at 2 different powder coaters now, and both lots are overdue to their commit dates. Our price on the brake handle is $350. I will publish an updated photo later today.

I expect to have the next lot completed in 2 weeks or less. Al, if you are still interested please drop me an email at jdubois AT houston.rr.com

Or, I can be reached at

Jim DuBois
6610 Ranch Creek Court
Magnolia, TX 77354
936-273-4835 home
936-273-4259 work
936-827-3337 cell

Dom, good luck with your effort. We elected to plasma cut ours over laser cutting just because we had the ability to do so close to home at a reasonable price....laser would be better in my mind...

Attachments

Images (2)
  • IMG_0496
  • IMG_0502
Beautiful job, Jim! Have you considered ceramic coating them instead of powder coating? I have on from Dario that I'll eventually install. Since I live close to the sea (So Padre Island) it rusted out (surface corrosion, nothing major). I've been thinking about sending it to jet-hot (http://www.jet-hot.com/ ), to get it sandblasted and ceramic-coated in their metallic/chrome look. Any ideas?
Jose,

I don't think I would try to ceramic coat these....there is some degree of flex in the metal parts when you use the brake. I would think that would fracture ceramic coating in short order. Powder coating has a very long life even under the most adverse conditions, other than heat....above 200 degrees or so....I do not have a Dario version, but I understand from at least one party who does have one in use, it has a lot of flex......

I am picking up a batch of parts from powder coating this AM, so I should have a half dozen kits available for immediate shipment next week.
Jim I'm sending you a check for #350 bucks it won't get picked up by USPS until Wed. but hold one for me. Is there a shipping charge? Thanks Karl

PS: Some one else was making those same handbrakes here locally, but the ratchet teeth kept coming off after only a little use, are yours hardened so that will not be a problem? KD
Karl,

Shipping to you will run $12. As far as losing teeth I don't think that likely. The teeth are not hardened per se', however, the material the teeth are cut into is 1/8" mild steel and those that are in use have had no problems reported, but of course even the prototype has only been in my car less than 90 days....these were intentionally designed by me to be significantly more robust than the original style, hence the use of thicker material.

I will set one aside for you, I have 3 left out of this batch, the rest have gone out in 2 days.

thanks and regards,

Jim
I completed the installation of Karl's parking brake, here are a few photo's.

It took about 2 1/2 to 3 hours and required some welding, grinding and cutting. Aside from that, it was s relatively easy installation.

Those of you in So. Calif. that want to purchase a Parking Brake handle from Jim and are looking for an installer, contact me at: LJOWDY at aol.com

Attachments

Images (3)
  • ReplicaHandbrake1
  • ReplicaHandbrake10Smal
  • ReplicaHandbrake25Smal
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.