Skip to main content

I am refering to: [u]http://www.thunderranch.com/550.html[/u] who as most or all of you know sells replica 550's.

They sell a 550, and a 550A. From what I read:

Beck 550A is a new body configuration allowing a larger front/rear wheel size, 6" wheels in front and 7" wheels in the rear.

Does this mean a bigger body, or just slight modifications?

Do you know more?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I am refering to: [u]http://www.thunderranch.com/550.html[/u] who as most or all of you know sells replica 550's.

They sell a 550, and a 550A. From what I read:

Beck 550A is a new body configuration allowing a larger front/rear wheel size, 6" wheels in front and 7" wheels in the rear.

Does this mean a bigger body, or just slight modifications?

Do you know more?
Maybe some other members could describe it better than me, but I'll give it a try. The 550A is basically a 550 on steroids. The body is slightly wider and I think the rear deck is a little higher to accommodate more engine. And the fenders are flared out to accommodate wider wheels and tires. Think of how the original AC Cobra morphed into the Cobra 427 and you'll get the picture.

A 550A with a Porsche 6 would probably go like a scalded cat, but would be a handful on twisty two-lane blacktop.

The fenders accommodate wider tires, this pic is ours with 6 and 7 inch Fuchs. The decklid is not taller. We notched the underside of ours to accomodate the carbs as the front of the six cylinder engine is further forward than the 4 cylinder engine. Pic shows the fender flare and the notches cut in the bottom of the decklid. Though it is possible to drop the engine further in the chassis as the six cylinder is dry sump, you begin to have problems accomodating the exhaust and the shift linkage. It was easier to just notch that area of the decklid. Other builders may choose differently.

An interesting note. A magnesium case 911 six cylinder weighs 12 pounds more than a Furhman 547. Just fyi. Of course, any type1 or type4 weighs less than any 911 engine.
angela

Attachments

Images (1)
  • knotts0404 011
Actually, we did have a teacher adamantly insist that I was "learning disabled." My mom asked exactly what that meant - the teacher said in an unpleasantly loud voice "it means she's not very bright."

I knew I was not dumb. Just didn't want to read "Janet and Mark." I wanted to read big kid books like "Robin Hood" "The Black Stallion" and "The Hardy Boys." I thought "Janet and Mark" (and their little dog spot) were a bunch of pussies.

The teacher also said I had a bad attitude. She was probably right about that one...
angela
Angela,that picture has made me reconsider black when I get around to painting the Northstar Spyder-black is just plain bad. Almost all the GM bad boys were black-Grand National,Syclone,etc. I have a low mileage Syclone and it just would not look the same any other color. BTW,before I got into cars,The Black Stallion series was my favorite book series-read them all.john
You too? About a year ago I came across some old but nice Black Stallion books on e-bay. I bought three of them. My favorites were the Black Stallion and Flame and the Island Stallion groups.

My husband is apalled that I would think these worth collecting... By the way, paint your car black - its right there with GM-bad-boy image thing. Dead right on that one!

angela
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.