Skip to main content

Stan,

One source: http://www.mooreparts.com

Search for billet clamps.

I used one of the bigger ones with shoulders, partly because they use bigger bolts. I drilled the threads out of the upper piece and ran longer bolts through it into tapped holes in the bracket that hangs off the 2 x 2 tube.

I lined the opening in the clamp with rubber about 1/16" thick.

The ones with shoulders also look a little more like an original Porsche part.
Not 100%, but everything is installed. Sean at Peek took the steering column home over the weekend and cut off 2" of the original and welded on 4" in order to clear the front bulkhead. Couple quick pictures before i start my day. I need to do a final paint on all the parts. Im hoping the bushing at the hub breaks in... soon. the steering is a little tighter than i would like it. I have to turn the car out of the turn in order to get back straight.

the parts have come a long way since that first picture i posted. fun little project.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • new-old-steering-column-installed-01
  • new-old-steering-column-installed-02
Once the collar lube debacle is sorted out, you might want to drill a tiny hole in the bottom of the column and part way in to the collar, put in a stainless screw to lock the collar in place and keep it from rotating with the shaft. Let the contact with the shaft and lube do it's job.

Maybe?
One of the best things that has come out of this install is I finally have a steering wheel center with my gauges and my chest. For 3+ years it always pushed me into the left corner of me seat. I guess i naturally wanted to square up to the wheel with my body. It looks and feels much better. In the first pic you can see the two original mounting holes. It shifted right a good inch.

I also noticed that only the oil light was on in this photo... funny having stranded myself a couple times because of the ground off the alternator. I always look for the lights to come on as an indicator of a problem, never off.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • steering-column-alignment-01
  • steering-column-alignment-02
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.