Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ronn,

Get replica speedster seats, as opposed to the cut-down 914 knock-offs that Vintage specs. The speedster seats sit much lower in the car, and position your torso further back. I had a car with the 914 style seats modified to slide fully back to the rear, and I still wasn't comfortable- my head was in the wind, it just didn't feel right. Getting lower in the car means I look through the windshield, driving with the top up is an option (I can almost see out the side curtains), and I'm comfortable with a couple inches to spare behind the seat back. John Steele at JPS makes his own seat tubs- they look good, they feel even better. Russ R. at Fibersteel also makes a speedster seat for replicas, but if your car isn't built yet, I'd talk to John- you'll be glad you did.
Think real hard about it. The passion of the car purchase may be telling you you'll fit, but the reality of the speedster sizing says you most likely won't in one or more key dimensions.

I'm 6'5" with a 37" inseam and 40 waist. The speedster buckets are a tight fit. The leg room is fine with the seats all the way back. The headroom isn't. I look right into the crossbar of the windshield top. Forget driving with the top up. I love the tub, but I think only the Convertible D from IM will allow someone your height or mine to enjoy the car and put the top up for inclement weather as the windscreen is a bit higher.
At 6'2" and 180 lbs I fit very comfortably in my Speedster (top UP or DOWN). I have the Speedster Replica seats which, as Stan explained, afford more leg-room and better head-space due to their lower anchoring point.
I was concerned about fitting, too. The easy answer is to find someone in your area with a Speedster, arrange a meeting, and sit in their car. I "tried on" a VS and a JPS before I ordered. I fit in both just fine.
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.