Skip to main content

Hi gang, Looking at a very clean 356 Vintage replica. It comes with the thicker seats. I think some people call them the 914 seats. The gentlman selling it out of state seems to think that I would not fit leg room wise. Your thoughts on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Russ

1957 Vintage Speedsters(Speedster)

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Russ,
You need to be sure as to what seats you have.
VS speedster (slotted backs) are lower than the more plush pleated VS version.
Depending on how the seats were orignally mounted there may be room to reposition the seat base more rearward on the exsisting track bolts. Also, on some rear seat cushions, they have a lip that extends forward of the fiberglass base that restricts the drivers seat back movement from resting against the fiberglass.

Jack Crosby .....is a bigger guy who drives a VS, he will have suggestions too.
I'm 6'2" and leg room is not the issue for me. I have the slotted seats and the issue is sitting too tall in the car.....I added a small pillow for my lower back, which moves my butt forward and lets me get lower in the car. Over all both my wife and I find the seats to be very comfy. Your not going to want a Banjo stearing wheel, your knees will run into it, and you will need to learn a technique to get in and out without jamming your right knee into the stearing wheel

Jay

Attachments

Images (1)
  • pillow
I'm about 6'1", maybe slightly less, but my legs are long in proportion to the rest of me. I sat in this car 2 weeks ago.
http://monterey.craigslist.org/ctd/2402260152.html
With these puffy seats shown it was OK but a little cramped. For a long tour which I would do it would not be a great fit. I could probably drive it safely but not for too long. If the car you are looking at has a neutral color like black it might be easy to replace the puffy seats with something much thinner and still have a decent match to the doors etc.. for a reasonable amount.
6'2", 240, long legs. I fit fine in the slotted seats in my VS (with the banjo wheel). However, I really fit well when I pull the bottom cushion out. I plan on having a 1" piece of foam covered in matching leather (vinyl?) and simply swapping it out for drives. I did this in my 914-6, as I really wanted to retain the GT steering wheel. It freed up enough room that I have probably a half to 3/4 of an inch of head room with a helmet on.
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.