Skip to main content

Classified postings do not allow for discussion (replies are not allowed).  Direct message the member if you would like to discuss the item.
The Classified section is open to any individual (non-commercial firms) posting of items for sale. Members posting commercial advertisements must be enrolled in a Supporting Merchant program. 
Postings without relevant details (PRICE, location, condition, etc.) will be deleted.

European Collectables, a Southern California reseller that specializes in 356s, has a beautiful 2.0L Sunroof Coupe for sale. Only $124,500! Very rare, very nice.
I know it's totally "fantasy time," but it's still fun to look. Check it out.
www.europeancollectibles.com/ec_reborn/inventory_detail.aspx?@page_inv_id=Po1063

This is my signature.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Group,

Since you brought up the "fantasy" level of this obsession, I have a question.

The actor who plays Malcolm on the sit-com "Malcom In The Middle" was featured on the MTV reality candid camera set-up show "Punked" driving a very nice black Speedster. The scenes were at night, so it was hard to see any detail or badging. The gag was that the valet released his car to somebody else...haha. The actor, very upset, claimed that the speedster was irreplaceable and worth about $250,000.

Now, what speedster would bring $250,000?

Brian.

I believe the most expensive Speedster I've seen was going for $85,000. It was a "ground up," total restoration on a "matching numbers" car. It was absolutely beautiful, but I don't know if it ever sold or, if it commanded that price.
If Frankie Muniz thinks his Speedster is worth a quarter-of-a-million, I shudder to think of what he may have paid for it.
I happened to see that episode, our youngest was home for the summer and called me in to catch it as soon as she spotted the Speedster. There was one clear shot that told the real story... I caught a good look at the top of the seats and can tell you that in my non-expert opinion it was a Vintage Speedster with the standard seats Kirk uses in Baypoint Tan. Now unless old Freddie wanted to devalue his quarter million dollar speedster by buying some seats from Kirk, or........? Also, can't be sure, but thought I caught a glimpse of some Monza style exhausts.

On the point of value. I have seen a few in that 70-80G range too. If you go to the Speedster Carrera/GT site that one of our members maintains and read through the list I "think" there is a blurb on one of the 4 cam cars going for around that 250G that they were spewing on the show. I think it had very much to do with it being a certain year, certain color, certain manfufacure date and car #, plus being a 4 cammer. I might look it up later and copy the text. Now, maybe it wasn't that much... so don't hold me to this until I verify.

I can imagine a Pebble winner going for over 100G..... but that car on the MTV show was a VS in my opinion.

Jim Ward
Sweet Carrera! Anybody have the five right numbers and the powerball?
They also have for sale a nice 59 A/H 3000 with a 5.0 liter H.O. Ford engine in it. They claim it has 300 hp. Man! I'd like to take that around the block!! Same price as the Carrera minus $100,000!

BD
(Message Edited 8/14/2003 7:11:54 PM)
(Message Edited 8/14/2003 7:13:10 PM)
Those four valve Carrera engines take a day and a half for an experienced mechanic to tune and adjust the valves, etc., or so I was told. Pricey car to own and maintain. I believe an original GT Carrera's can cost in the near quarter mil range. The GS Carrera are priced a good bit less. There is one for sale near me and the asking price is in the same range as the Cali car. Anyone who would put a sound system in a four valve car shouldn't be owning such a car.
I went to Johan's site and got some prices. I deleted all the other text and pictures associated with these cars as Johann has done so much research and hard work to produce THE DEFINITIVE site for these rare cars. As you can see the prices range the extremes based on condition, history, correctness, etc.

The link to his site is in Theron's post above.

SOURCE Johan's site: # 8109 It was auctioned by Christie's in June 1999 and sold for $134,500. # 82104 (1981) newspaper ad for this Speedster. It says the car was totally restored. The asking price was $65,000 # 82243 It was on auction at Monterey 2000, and sold for $167.500.# 83260 seven year restoration at a cost exceeding $250,000.00# 83413 for sale in the duPont Registry Magazine of April 1997. $155,000.83735 The car sold at the Christie's Monterey auction August 1999 for $180.000. # 84543 Asking price $165,000. #84743 A survivor! $175.000".#84906 At the RM 2002 Vintage, Sports and Racing cars LA Auction the car was offered for sale but didn't sell at a high bid of $200.000. # 84928 advertised for $350,000 in 1993 and for $295,000 in 1996. It was sold -for less- that year to Sam Cabiligio who purchased it for Jerry Seinfeld.# 84933 in 1998 for $150.000. # 84935 The car is for sale from Paragon Racing Ltd. for a steep price of $300.000. Sold. US$ 225,000". # 84940 advertised the car in 1998 saying it received a "correct older restoration", asking $150.000. # 84945 advertised on the web in 1999; $145,000". # 84949 Rough Car 2002 Monterey Sports Car Auction in August but didn't sell at a high bid of $115.000. # 84950 It was offered for sale in the Sept/Oct 2002 356 Registry magazine for an asking price of $250.000
(Message Edited 8/14/2003 11:42:02 PM)
Thanks for the eBay update, GB. I looked up that item when it was for sale and began thinking of all the things that can inheirantly be wrong with a specimen engine, through no fault of the sellers, let alone any half-assing that may have been done by design and expediency... What a gamble!

Couple those thoughts with a little slightly downgrade, high-speed highway lunacy on the way back from the Napa run a few weeks back and I have come to the realization that we are indeed driving modified nostalgia and too much of a good thing can be deadly!

I think I'll get quick and a little louder with attitude and save the seriously fast lane adventures for my 911!

Gawd, am I getting old,
MM
Erik, long ago and far away when I was a teenager in the 1950's working at "Sad Sam" (Bob) Samuelson's Precision Automotive in Dallas I serviced a 550A Spyder. Set the valves, changed both sets of points, the spark plugs, changed the oil, changed the transaxle oil, set the ignition timing on both distributors, and sync'd the carburetors. Probably took about 3 hours.
Yes, I remember it well... Once- while on safari in the Serengeti, I single handedly fought three man eating lions with only my shoe laces and a 9/16 box end wrench I found under the seat of my vintage 1962 Land Rover (my other arm was busy setting the points on the Rover). After I dispatched the lions, I took the Rover overland to the pyramids across the Sahara with my faithful dog Lassie (yes- THAT Lassie) at my side. After the Rover ran out of petrol, I drilled my own oil well using the tail-pipe, the jack, and a rolled up $100 bill. After we arrived in Alexandria, I lunched with Anwar Sadat, and chartered a Lear jet back to my penthouse on the upper east side... It was quite some time (several days) before I could resume my chair as the senior fellow at the Harvard School of business, or accompany my wife Marylyn Monroe to the set.
Stan,

I think we crossed paths in Alexandria and had a martini at a rugby match the anthropologists had set up between native work teams. If I recall correctly, we were seated with the lovely Laura Crotch, Room Raider. She was a legend for having done the entire 1967 National Geographic Team during the Rel Temple excavations.

We left Alexandria in the Kombi, and sea transported to Cambodia. It was there at Angor Wat that we were fell on by hoards of Khymers led by Pol Pot or maybe his brother Porta Pot. Our convoy of four Kombis and a Ryan Speedster (001) made a wagon wheel defense, exhaust pipes pointed to the perimeter. I ordered our driving team of Aussie Lassies (not dogs either) to spray carb cleaner into the running engines, providing an adequate smoke screen to hide our next effort. Adjusting the mixture screws and moving the 009s on the vehicles to a point of making a rapid backfire we were able to simulate the noise of 5 GE 7.62 Mini-guns in 4,000 RPM rotation. When the carb cleaner cleared, the natives were dee-dee-ing all the way back to the Burma border. Silly savages!

There are a million other stories in the Naked City, and this was one of them. As a sidenote: Richard Nixon awarded us the equivalent of a Silver Star, but we can never show it to others, because as you know, Cambodia was a secret war and we were never there. I swapped my medal at the white house with Elvis (he was always hanging around Dick) for his Gold FBI Card signed by J Edgar Hoover.

Jim Ward
Former Argosy Magazine reporter at large
(Message Edited 8/16/2003 12:53:39 PM)
Jim and Stan,

Sounds like a movie that I'd like to see. Any idea which one of the right seat candidates will be the leading lady?

In the 50's my mechanical experience started underneath a 52 Studebaker Landcruiser, different Landcruiser but maybe it counts. I think it only had one distributer and one camshaft but it had two headlights and two tail lites. Does that count?

Bruce
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.