Skip to main content

Classified postings do not allow for discussion (replies are not allowed).  Direct message the member if you would like to discuss the item.
The Classified section is open to any individual (non-commercial firms) posting of items for sale. Members posting commercial advertisements must be enrolled in a Supporting Merchant program. 
Postings without relevant details (PRICE, location, condition, etc.) will be deleted.

I sold my Carrera! I listed it on e-bay and got nothing, put it on Autotrader, Rennlist, Pelican forums, Panorama it got lit up. I got 26k for it, which considering how original, clean it was, is a fair price. I had two or three other buyers waiting. What this tells me, is that these 3.2l Porsches are getting harder to find with low miles in excellent condition. People value cars that retain originality, are well-cared for with docs to prove it. Now I have seller's remorse!
1957 Intermeccanica(Speedster)
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I sold my Carrera! I listed it on e-bay and got nothing, put it on Autotrader, Rennlist, Pelican forums, Panorama it got lit up. I got 26k for it, which considering how original, clean it was, is a fair price. I had two or three other buyers waiting. What this tells me, is that these 3.2l Porsches are getting harder to find with low miles in excellent condition. People value cars that retain originality, are well-cared for with docs to prove it. Now I have seller's remorse!
Truly pristine examples (and that car qualified) of desirable 911's are still fetching good money.

The lesser examples have slid off the map, but the 3.2 cars are still holding their own.

A fella sold a running 3.0 complete car (clean title but rough interior/crappy paint) on Pelican the other day for $3,000....

angela
Hi, I spoke to Henry and am thinking about swapping out the 3.2 in La Bomba for a 993 Varioram twin plug motor. Ive thought about building my 3.2 to a 3.5 twin plug, but it would cost alot for maybe 250 hp. The 3.6 is rated 282hp stock. With some minor upgrades I could be at 300hp easy. I might need a brake upgrade, but Henry said it would bolt up nicely, 915 could be adapted easily. I also think it would be cost effective with much more BANG for the buck. What do you think???????
You know El Guapo just gave me a GREAT idea. Lets do Nitrous in my 3.2 I wont need to swap out a motor and the expense. I bet there are products out there for this application. I could push a button anytime I wanted and VR00000000000000000M Instant energy. Damn why didn't I think of that. Hey Angela, Steve What do you think, A nitrous bottle hooked up to the La Bomba!!!
Howard,

You could build more Hp and torque by just getting rid of the DME on the 3.2 and swap out to PMO's. Twin plug is something you don't need to do unless your over 10:1 compression.

My 3.0 I built very conservative almost stock except for the 964 cams and Webers and it has 235Hp and 225ft/lb torque at the flywheel. What you would gain in power you might give up in reliability/drivability.

The easy way out would be to go bottle fed.....;-)
Most builders want to twin-plug these at/after 98mm bore as the combination of the shadow of the piston dome along with the distance of flame travel usually requires it. I think every 3.5 I've seen built from a 3.2 was a twin-plug. All 3.6's are twins.

Howard - nitrous is for 1/4 milers and dipshits (which is why Dave is teasing you!). You are neither. The 3.2 to a 3.5 is pretty intriguing and you are looking at alot more than 250 horsepower out of that. If you're careful and the builder is clever, you can run a twin-plug distributor off the motronic box, chip the box, and keep the stock electronics. Run like the wind. I've seen a couple of dyno pulls on these and they are 260 to 270 or so at the wheels (so well over 300 at the flywheel).

The 3.6 is a great engine. The 993 version does have hydraulic valves. Pretty sweet. They got rid of the engine mounted oil cooler on this so you are 100% committed to two large coolers at the front. Not a big deal for Henry, I think he already did that on LaBomba, didn't he? Can't figure out why they'd put two oil filters on it though. Seems like you could just buy one really high end Racor or something and have both the volume and the fine filtration you need.

Dollars spent? I think I'd go with the 3.6. The electronics are not simple on this one though whereas the 3.2 is easy enough that even a monkey like me can wire the car.

Tomm - why not go with a newer boxster or 997 engine? The 997 engine looks darn near bullet proof, newer boxsters seem to have resolved the RMS issue. Or you could just go for 996 turbo which unlike it's normally aspirated counterpart is darn near bomb-proof. I mean, you know - while you're in there...

angela
Angela, Ive been talking to my P friends at Powertech, here in Rockaway NJ, really great group of Porsche tuners/fabricators/racers. They LOVE La Bomba, can't get over how well its built, or how much fun it is to drive. You know that from personal experience. The 3.6 would be the ticket. They suggested that I might consider a 95 motor, due to the shorter intake, but they would have to really measure to see if we could shoe horn a Varioram engine into it When I built the car, I had Henry place the LARGEST Setrab cooler that would fit, rather than the dual mocal that he had been using, something about wanting to keep it "simple" .... big mistake. I really dont have enough cooling surface on really warm days in traffic. Need the fan. I would need to switch those out if I went with either set up. Yes the nitrous idea was tonque in cheek. Although people have accused me of hitting the "bottle" in my office! The 3.2 is worth money, engine runs strong. The difference between the two is 3-4k. But what a jump is performance, and thats leaving the 3.6 stock. Hmmmmmm....
Howard,

I agree with the twin plug if you are high compression or big bore. The twin plug on the original 2.7RS was more about reliability than flame travel. Remember they had 100+ octane and the fuel would burn very easily but you could foul a plug racing and you had another one to keep the motor running. Now days with the junk fuel we have the twin plug is more than just a reliability issue.

The big thing for me, and this is where Angela and I differ, is how much horsepower do you need? We are limited by the rubber on the road. While 300HP+ at the crank is cool for lighting up the tires it costs a lot of money to build to build it correctly.

The only bottle I would truly recommend would be one that contained adult beverages. Leave the other bottle for the ricers......;-)

Do you have Wayne Dempsy's book on rebuilding 911 motors? If not even if your not going to build the motor yourself it will give you a lot of knowledge to help you make the right informed choice.

Have fun.....
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.