Most of you know I did a trans rebuild over the winter. There were a lot of "while I'm in there" things going on as well. I bit off a big chunk of work, and in so doing, had 80 miles on the car before I went to Carlisle. And I drove it there, all 225 miles, because I wanted to be able to listen and smell if anything went wrong. If I had towed it, by the time I figured there was a problem, it would be too late. At least that was the thinking.
First thing I did after cleaning the entire longblock was add the factory SC air diverter behind the alternator. Porsche used this when they went from the 2.7 to the 3.0. I had to trim the two fins as the fiberglass shroud is shorter for a type1. I also bent the fins a bit more to aim the air toward cylinders 3 and 4. I first took the alternator to my local auto electric guy, and adjusted the regulator which was set to 13.8. He boosted it to 14.5 which improved charging and lighting, especially around 30-40 amp load. Then he ran the fan and ring through the bead blaster and I painted them so the magnesium wouldn't corrode any more.