Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I used some of these on my sailboat.  They're made up in Ontario, are super-high quality and should last way longer than the rest of the car.

They look decent, too - At least they did on my Beetle-Cat.

https://e-rigging.com/products...XHpj4K8aAu5JEALw_wcB

These are pretty cool, too:  
https://www.zoro.com/marlboro-...32DZDxkaAh7hEALw_wcB

Last edited by Gordon Nichols

Here are some detail shots I took last week of that Emory Special  

It’s interesting all the subtle details….he raked the windscreen back every so slightly, which meant he needed to fabricate the roof.

The B-pillars changed, they went from being vertical to slightly forward.  I believe the tail lights were lowered about 3/4” from their original location.  The drip edges were removed.

The owner said the engine was dyno’d at 285HP  

A9AB2601-E77C-4A71-8295-6F200FF5FB8EDDEF33A9-0D9A-41BB-B448-A4285ABCCC88721B9ADF-3120-4DBA-86C3-B41CFFB0D17B65C46BED-CA93-49CF-8286-CD59EF290DC2

Attachments

Images (4)
  • A9AB2601-E77C-4A71-8295-6F200FF5FB8E
  • DDEF33A9-0D9A-41BB-B448-A4285ABCCC88
  • 721B9ADF-3120-4DBA-86C3-B41CFFB0D17B
  • 65C46BED-CA93-49CF-8286-CD59EF290DC2
@Sacto Mitch posted:

My outlaw dyno’s at 285
I lost my license, now I don’t drive
I go to car shows, gold trophies on the wall
I like to rally, maybe this fall

They say I’m crazy but I have a good time
I just follow the clues to the scene of the crime
Life’s been good to me so far.

Mitch Toll is a national treasure.

I still have the "hooned and lost" quote saved. This one goes in the same file.

"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the hoots and catcalls of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of Mustangs and by downshifting pass them when the way is clear ahead.

It may be better to have hooned and lost than never to have hooned at all, but I'd rather live to hoon another day."

How can any wannabe blue collar keyboard poser compete with a man who spins gold from his fingers?

A: He can't. I bow my head and slowly back away.

Last edited by Stan Galat
@Stan Galat posted:

Mitch Toll is a national treasure.

I still have the "hooned and lost" quote saved. This one goes in the same file.

"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the hoots and catcalls of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of Mustangs and by downshifting pass them when the way is clear ahead.

It may be better to have hooned and lost than never to have hooned at all, but I'd rather live to hoon another day."

How can any wannabe blue collar keyboard poser compete with a man who spins gold from his fingers?

A: He can't. I bow my head and slowly back away.

Truly he is.

I began to discover I was probably a heathen at heart during a high school dalliance with Catholicism routed in a desire to have a daliance with one Shiela Mross. My bordom and wandering mind lead to my attempt at a parody of the Hail Mary.  At the time I thought I was a wit, but it turns out I had left the "T" off twit. I'll share it anyway, but its not Toll level.  (Trigger warning for those that take their blasphemy seriously. My apologies in advance.)

Hail Mary full of grace. Lord the tree hath three upon it. Blessed art thou among transmissions, unless the linkage goes boom, then,

Jesus.

Holy Mary.

Mother of God.

Pray our cheesy cotterpin fix holds and leadeth not to our death. Glory be to the father as he helps the son on the road without finding his hidden spirits. Amen.

I know that there is only one road to salvation. I this is true because there is but one God, and if I spill transmission fluid on his driveway one more time I will be banished for eternity.

Eventually Shiela tired of me (I'm surpised it took as long as it did) and somehow I discovered that for many transmogrification is more than just changing the ring and pinion, so the time wasn't entirely wasted.

@Jon T posted:

Alan -  with the lid closed, will that small gap allow the lid to rattle a little bit while driving?  How do you prop the lid open?

Not loose enough to rattle .   The prop rod base is mounted on a steel extrusion above the left taillight it inserts into a1/4" Riv-Nut on the left side of the deck lid and the rod stores just forward of the deck lid latch.

But wouldn't the side-to-side curve of that panel cause them to bind, or are they designed with a left and right hand side hinge to take that into account?

I have wondered the same.  However, I think there is an Instagram clip of Emory discussing his special designed hinges and that the pins are mounted in small spherical bearings to allow for the misalignment due to the non-coplanar mounting.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-c1X5mngsK/?hl=en

Last edited by James

I’ve been following this thread closely. I would really like to have these type of hinges on my outlaw build. Even better if they could have removable pins to completely remove the lid for maintenance. The “noncoplanar “ design may help to reduce rattle but it sure would be nice to have a removable lid.
BTW I’m building a speedster partially copying the Emory 59 1/2 with the hard rear cowl/toneau with head rest. Next spring delivery date.

I'm with you, James.  

And Merklin's answer sounded perfectly adequate to me:

Have a semi-loose fit between the (removeable) hinge pin and the hinges and everything takes care of itself.  If you want to eliminate rattles, make sure your rubber stand-off buttons for the engine cover engage the bottom side of the cover when closed (with slight pressure) to close the latch.

Or, you design your own hinges with embedded heim-like bearings at $50 bucks a pop to do it like Rod does.

"Non-Coplaner" my Aunt Mildred....

And here's a re-post of the hinges I used and what Panhandle Bob just bought:

https://e-rigging.com/products...XHpj4K8aAu5JEALw_wcB

Ray:

I found those from E Rigging a couple of weeks ago but took awhile to pull the trigger. I really like the look and the fact that the pin is removable, thus making the deck lid removeable as well. I think Emory alludes to the fact in his Instagram post that pit stop access to the engine bay when racing was the initial driver of the idea.

Too bad he won't market his.

Well he went to the trouble of getting them made so I   Understand but someone else could do them it just takes time and money.
Having said that the removable pin is pretty awesome if removing the lid is what your after.

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.