Skip to main content

Classified postings do not allow for discussion (replies are not allowed).  Direct message the member if you would like to discuss the item.
The Classified section is open to any individual (non-commercial firms) posting of items for sale. Members posting commercial advertisements must be enrolled in a Supporting Merchant program. 
Postings without relevant details (PRICE, location, condition, etc.) will be deleted.

A neighbor's son is selling his 912 and I promised to post something here and there for him - anxious seller / leaving country - definately a 'driver' / not a show car - but may be a good opportunity for somebody to close a deal quickly....
.currently listed in Craigslist SF Bay area

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/1806277214.html
Rick J

1955 Other/Unknown(Roadster)

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A neighbor's son is selling his 912 and I promised to post something here and there for him - anxious seller / leaving country - definately a 'driver' / not a show car - but may be a good opportunity for somebody to close a deal quickly....
.currently listed in Craigslist SF Bay area

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/1806277214.html
Rick J

Attachments

Images (1)
I think the 912 is a great platform to trick a 911-shaped car the way you want to without real financial risk.
Nobody will ever take a 912E Gruppe 3 RS/GTsI something-or-other to Barrett-Jackson, for example; it wasn't intended to be an earth-shattering performer, and resale sucks rocks.

Which would probably ENCOURAGE me to build the sh*t out of a bones 912 to daily-drive the bejeezus out of something FUN.
Restoring/rebuilding/maintaining an early 912 is not much cheaper than doing the same with an early 911. Once you say P-O-R-S-C-H-E be prepared to bring out the pocket book.

The only thing different between the 912 and the 911 is the engine, and 912/356 engines are not that cheap but probably 50% the cost of a 911 rebuild. A normal 911 rebuild, not performance.

Too me, and this is just my opinion, the car above has too many non-standard modifications and you have to wonder, why? 912's will likely never be worth much (except for the early soft window targas...I'd like one of those!) but making these mods to it makes it worth less IMO.

But to each his own...
I was just reading a thread on another site where some guy was getting razzed from another about the resale of a 79SC because he did a few things to it. It's an SC for gods sake! They made a zillion of em', hell, if I have one they can't be worth squat!
A 912 is the same thing, they were a flop. No one bought them and no one ever will. Yeah, there are a few folks out there who preserve cars in their original state ( and I thank them for it) but some are pointless, the 912 was one of them. 100 years from now you can go to the museum and you'll here people still say the same thing about the 912.
I wanted one of those for the very reason of loving that early body style but not wanting to pay for a 911. I was gonna do essentially what this guy did. It sure woulda been nice to come across that a year ago. I'd be driving a gorgeous vintage bad ass type 4 thumpin 912 with seg on my face. Not that I'm complaining about my current driving choices.
Beg to differ Mickey, if we're talking about the early 912 series then they easily outsold 911's. I think it took until about 1968 before 911 production outpaced 912.

912s were more popular for at least a couple of reasons. The 911-6 was a new design, the 912 was the latest development of a tried and true design. People just felt more comfortable with the 4 that they knew. The other thing was that 912s handled better than the early 911s due to lighter engines in the back.

Having said all that...I'd take an early 911S over a 912 any day. If I could afford one.
Hello all,

I am the seller of this 912, Rick was very kind to post the ad for me to help sell the car. I have changed the address for the ad though, anybody who'd like to read more about this car can check it out here:

http://www.912bbs.org/index.php?a=thread&p=234542

Part of the reason why the 912 vastly outsold the 911 in the early years was pure cost. In '65 Porsche introduced the 911 and for that year it was sold along side the outgoing model, the 356. The 911 was certainly an improvement in almost every aspect over the older 356 and an increase in price was expected, however the base model 911 was selling for nearly $3000 more than the most expensive 356. (356SC) $3k in 1965 was a very significant amount of money! Sales of this new 911 were so sluggish that they retooled their new 911 body to fit the most refined version of the 356 engine and in 1966 they released this new car, the 912. As previously mentioned, not only was it a cheaper option for the buying public but the lighter engine made for more forgiving handling in the notoriously tail-heavy short wheel base early 911. Porsche learned a valuable lesson with the 912 and has always offered a "budget" priced Porsche as an alternative to their "top tier" 911, which gave us models like the 914, the 912E, the 924, even the Boxster.

Some questions have been raised as to why I built my car the way I did, and the effect the modifications have made to the "value" of the car. First off, this wasn't just my daily driver, it was my only vehicle! No back-ups, it had to be reliable and comfortable. Some things were permanently modified by the previous owner(s) and I can't undo their mistakes, such as removing the original engine, painting the vehicle, installing a fiberglass front bumper. Beyond those things however, there is virtually nothing I have ever done to this vehicle that can't be to bone stock original with only simple hand tools. Don't like the new seats? Originals come with, and they bolt back in. Radio system? Wiper delay? They could be yanked in 10 minutes and you'd never know they were there. Antenna placed through original fender hole. Heater blowers mounted on custom brackets that bolt to the rear engine mounts.

In nine years of ownership I never drilled or enlarged a single hole unless it was absolutely necessary, never destroyed a single original Porsche part unless required and it's replacement would be inexpensive and easy to source. Simple, bolt on mods that can be removed. And not a single upgrade was made to this vehicle with any thought to "increasing the value" of the car, it was made to increase the safety, reliability and functionality of the car and always done with the philosophy of "do no harm" and leave the smallest footprint possible. I believe that I've been entrusted to take care of this vehicle, I don't just -own- the car.

She's no cream-puff show car, nor a tricked out track car. She's a driver, in top condition. I also believe that these cars were meant to be driven, rain or shine. I think Ferdinand and Ferry would agree with me.

I hope I don't come off too coarse or defensive, I'm protective of this car and I take pride in the work I've done. I bristle a bit when people start picking her apart without seeing the car in person, hearing the engine purr, feeling how she rides and tracks. If I weren't leaving the country I'd have no interest in selling her.

If there are any other questions anybody can contact me directly. Thanks!
Yes me too, like what you've done. I had a 66 912 that I was trying to do original (except for the engine) but it just gets too expensive. You buy one used part that looks pretty good and then you find that part NOS so you buy that cause its better than the first one and then you find a concours quality part and you just have to have it. Then since you now have a concours part it makes the other parts you've been collecting look like crap so now you start sourcing like quality parts. It just gets crazy!

I got a lot of respect for those people who do that, they're preserving history. Just not for me.
I guess I was too literal in my post. I didn't mean NO ONE bought 912's. Obviously people bought them and drove them as Ryan pointed out. He also points out all the other "flops" Porshce produced and the sensible approach Porsche took to producing "lesser", or more inexpensive cars. Look, the 924 was a fun car and people bought and drove them too, but no one will get there panties in a bunch if you take one and modify it umtil the cows some home. No one is going to say "What a shame. Taking a beautiful car like that and doing that to it. Well, there goes the resale value". Ok, yes, someone will say that, and some will say it about a 912 too, but I was going with the "norm". And that is not to imply that the folks who want to preserve 924's and 912's and whatever else are wrong, it's just not a very collectible car to alot of people so the value isn't there. All that said, I LOVED my Dad's 924 turbo!! That thing was frickin suh-wheet to drive around on the few occasions he let me. If I came across one in decent shape and I had the room for it I'd buy it just for the memories it'd bring back.
Mickey-

I think that's what separates a "car guy" from a "poser". The fact is, 95% of the guys that "just have to have" a 911 will never get within 50% of the car's limits. The only reason they've "got to have" it is so other people can think they are manly or wealthy. If you blast down the road doing 120 all the time, I'll give you a pass. Otherwise- the only other good reason is because the 6 is a better investment.

The older I get, the more I just want what's cool to me- I couldn't care less what somebody else says I've got to have. That being said, I'd really like a nice SC with the head-stud and cam-chain updates.

That's a nice 912. I even like the fact that the guy painted it red because he wanted to, even though I completely disagree about Guards Red being the "right" color for Porsches (the correct color is silver/black ;-)). Early 912s are pennies on the dollar over a long-hood 911. A big-'ol Type 4 out back would be the cat's meow, and fast as stink.
Angela,
I'm flattered. ;)

Stan,
I wash my car at least once a week. The only other color I would ever "consider" for my other car is Orange, but I think I'd be bummed the second I saw my beautiful black car no longer black. I think it's safe to say it'll always be black as long as my name is on the title. (Stan, notice the Porsche reflector is gone ;) )

Attachments

Images (1)
  • MY83SC
(Circa 1982) This was my '78 SC, lowered with ground effects, shock-tower stabilizers up front and sway bar in rear, and funky whaletail (after tricking out my SC I couldn't afford the proper whale-tail so I found this one at a Porsche swap meet). I eventually removed the tail.

Black was the ONLY color that would look right on this ride.

(sorry for thread hi-jack, Ryan).

Attachments

Images (1)
  • sc00012947
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.