Skip to main content

Hey, Anybody use a type 4 914 setup ?? I am using a 914 and tranny and would like to know if anyone has used it how did adapt the assembly at the swing axle. The 914 setup is too bulky, is there a kit or any ideas on how to proceed. Everything is real good and this seems to be the only dilemma. Any input would be appreciated.

Rodger
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hey, Anybody use a type 4 914 setup ?? I am using a 914 and tranny and would like to know if anyone has used it how did adapt the assembly at the swing axle. The 914 setup is too bulky, is there a kit or any ideas on how to proceed. Everything is real good and this seems to be the only dilemma. Any input would be appreciated.

Rodger
Our car is a 914 transaxle with a dedion tube rear. Would be significant to modify yours to this point. But, if this helps, a 914 uses VW axles. Perhaps it is simply a matter of finding the correct axle length to use with your swing arm setup. And the great thing about VW axles is that they can be ordered (quite readily) in custom lengths. Sorry not to be more informative, but perhaps this gives you an idea of a direction to go. angela
Thanks Angela. I have both Trannys and the axle on the type 1 has paddles that enter the housing as opposed to the 914 that has pinned disk plates that are exterior. So you are saying that I shouldn't have too much trouble finding vw axles that are set up like the 914. I am planning on disk brakes on the rear so if it is going to be that easy I'll be one happy Canuck. Thanks again; Rodger
Holy crap. I just looked at some photos in the gallery of your 550 build. Deathwish dear?? Are those hubs made from the original 914 setup. I am inspired. I love the elevated panhard theory. Now you have way more motor than I do as mine is a 1.7 four cylinder deal but the way you have the heim end trailers is sweet. Do you have any completed photos, does it handle??. I've been racing stock cars all my life and the motor has always been in front so I have to wrap my head around this mid engine theory but what you have there makes sense. Just sent me in a different direction.

Thanks;Rodger
Rodger,
Try contacting swayaway axles (they are on the net), I'll bet they can set you up. The axles on the car are definately VW as the porsche 914 axles were too long. The VW axle slide into the 914 CV joints. Swayaway sells axles for different vw/porsche conversions, sand rails, customs etc. Would be really nice if your solution was just a knowledgeable phone call away.

try this: http://www.swayaway.com

The car's been done for about a year and half. Well, they are never really "done", always some new wild idea to set in motion. The rear hubs were built from a 914. We did not build the dedion tube, that was fabbed by Thunder Ranch. The engine in the pictures is in the process of being replaced with something of better quality and more power. No death wish. Just love to roll on power. angela
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.