Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Another question to ask is: Can the 914 transaxle take it? I don't know the answer, but I do know that most of us with bigger hp engines have transaxles that are significantly "hardened" to handle the much higher than stock hp. I don't know if (or how) the 914 stock trans is much different in strength than the T1.

Maybe someone knows.

Mark
I'm running about 260-ish through a 914. For large power applications (say above 225 or so) or slicks, just be easy in first gear as it's unsupported. Given the swing from first to second, you really don't want to be too much of a ham-fister on the way over... Hammer the ever loving dog snot out of the other four. Plenty of 914's with SBC motors in them running 2nd thru 5th gear. Those who drive V8 914's gingerly can utilize 1st.

If you want to get pretty aggressive, use wide slicks, or build alot of torque, you can always do a few things like install a billet intermediate plate to beef things up more. But with the power that you are anticipating, the transaxle if in good shape, will cause you no problems.

The 914 is mechanically the same as the 901 transaxle from the 911 (e.g. late sixties, early 70's). That's why the "porsche tax" applies.

To put a Type 1 in front, call KEP (Kennedy Engineered Products). Adaptor, clutch, etc., - they got it all - but they aren't going to be able to help you with the axles. Need to figure out that interface. Swayaway may be able to help with that. We bought a custom set of axles from them for the spyder as we needed a length that no combination of any of our old ratty porsche parts could offer.

angela

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 550engine3
Here's a guy who put a 901 into a bug.

http://www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles/porsche5spdconv.htm

He used a 901 from a 911 (so no mounting "ears" on the trans like on the 914).

Just FYI, on either the 901 from the 911 or the 914, you can rotate the differential for mid versus rear engine applications.

angela
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.