Skip to main content

A friend bought a wrecked 944 for parts. He offered me the front and rear brakes complete, master cylinder, CV joints, shafts, everything, for a really good price. I know some adventurous Beetle guys have made the conversion, and there are several web sites discussing the conversion. Anyone around here done it?

I have standard Karmen Ghia disks on the front and last fall added CB Performance RotoHubs disk brakes to the rear. The current brakes on the car look like go-cart brakes compared to the 944 calipers and disks. Maybe a good winter project.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A friend bought a wrecked 944 for parts. He offered me the front and rear brakes complete, master cylinder, CV joints, shafts, everything, for a really good price. I know some adventurous Beetle guys have made the conversion, and there are several web sites discussing the conversion. Anyone around here done it?

I have standard Karmen Ghia disks on the front and last fall added CB Performance RotoHubs disk brakes to the rear. The current brakes on the car look like go-cart brakes compared to the 944 calipers and disks. Maybe a good winter project.
On the rear you might consider the entire trailing arm. I thought it was the 944 Turbo that had the aluminum trailing arms that are almost a bolt on... My understanding is that one hole in the spring plate has to be rebored. But you are right, there are several web sites that discuss this in detail. I have them bookmarked somewhere if you need me to sort it out (a 30 minute task).

I don't know that you have to upgrade for performance sake if you already have discs all around. But, like you say, the 944s discs are huge and would be HUGE in COOL too! If the price is right, and the fit on rear wheels works, go for it.

I'm sure you could resale your existing set up to make some of the cost back. I might even want to be in line on the rear discs... how much, and are the 4 or 5 lug?
Jack, yep, it comes with the rear alum trailing arms, disks, rotors, master cylinder, everything, soup to nuts. He is asking $500. I trust the guy completely. He says condition is primo. He bought the junker for parts he needed so it will help him resaling other stuff off the car.

I believe the older 944 brakes rated for 150 hp, which brakes from a turbo 944 are rated over 200 hp. Way over braking power but it would be kinda fun to do.

BTW, my disks are four hole.
$500 for a 944 set up sounds like a deal to me. Compare how they mount to the Porsche spring plates for general consistency and fit. Also, Look at how much they will increase your track. I've heard about .75 inch on each side in the rear. I don't know, but you may need to go to a larger master cylinder to squeeze/push them, but that' no big deal, and it is totally speculation that you 'might'. Now if he'd give you a break and sell them for $400, you could make most of that back in selling you existing discs. Then maybe a few bucks for the fabrication. Cool.
Porsche 944 master cylinder is included. I am concerned about the wider track in the rear. I may pass if it does add 3/4 inch per side. I am planning on at the least a six inch rim with the proper offset in the rear. Can't stay with no 4.5" skinny tires.

I *believe* you may need to have dropped hubs in the front for the 944 calipers, which I don't have. If I do need CB dropped hubs that would be another expense, perhaps the deal breaker. I know I will need new rims, sigh.

The rears sound like a piece of cake to install. I will research thoroughly.
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.