Skip to main content

Classified postings do not allow for discussion (replies are not allowed).  Direct message the member if you would like to discuss the item.
The Classified section is open to any individual (non-commercial firms) posting of items for sale. Members posting commercial advertisements must be enrolled in a Supporting Merchant program. 
Postings without relevant details (PRICE, location, condition, etc.) will be deleted.

Replies sorted oldest to newest

When the 959 came out in the '80s, I was living off the grid in a cabin as a missionary in Papua New Guniea. My second daughter had just been born in a clinic with no doctor, and we were catching rain water to use in the house. We were 4+ hrs from a hard road, and getting to our house meant crossing roughly 20 bridges, all made with logs that would sometimes go missing when somebody was short on firewood.

My mom and dad graciously sent me several months worth of Car and Driver magazine (along with National Geographic, and a Canadian homesteader magazine) in care packages about 4x/yr.

I remember sitting at my table, reading about the car by the light of a Coleman lantern, thinking about how very, very different various places in the world can be. Porsche may as well have been offering a manned spacecraft for sale for all the relevance this car had to my existence, or the existence of anybody I was working with.

It was pretty surreal.

Yep. Speedster's ugly stepsister.

FWIW, I've always felt the same about the wide-bodies* and CMC SC's.  But I'll admit there are many that are really well done. I'm sure with the proper attention to detail, this 359 could look great.

As I've said a hundred times, the differenence between "kit car" and "stunner" is 90% the wheels/tires/track. An otherwise stunning GT-40 kit with American Racing 5 slot wheels, 3" inside the fender lip will look like crap, whereas you add some 5 spoke wheels with proper spacers and it's transformed.

*Im starting to realize I'm turning into a "get off my lawn" grumpy old man. I'm pretty much a strict traditionalist. TBH, I have a hard time with anything other than wide five Wendell, Vintage 190, or Technomagnesios.  But I'll admit that 359 would look good with some 8"&10" Cup 1's or Gold Mesh BBS's. Those wheels that are on it are an inch, or two, too small a diameter. That car would rock with 18" wheels and a MassIVe motor like Jimmy's.

Last edited by dlearl476

Like 2-3 years ago some guy had a 359—for sale I think—that everyone here thought was pretty good.

What if someone bought a kit like this and tube-framed it, put a 911 front suspension in it and coil-over IRS rear, side-shift five speed then stuffed a 3 liter FI flat six with a turbo in the back?

Picture it in matte black with 17-inch BBS wheels and a frameless cut-down plexi wind screen.

Saddle colored leather interior including heated 914 seats. 911 gauges including 8k tach, 150 mph speedo and a custom quad combi gauge.

Just thinking out loud here.

Last edited by edsnova
@edsnova posted:

Like 2-3 years ago some guy had a 359—for sale I think—that everyone here thought was pretty good.

What if someone bought a kit like this and tube-framed it, put a 911 front suspension in it and coil-over IRS rear, side-shift five speed then stuffed a 3 liter FI flat six with a turbo in the back?

Picture it in matte black with 17-inch BBS wheels and a frameless cut-down plexi wind screen.

Saddle colored leather interior including heated 914 seats. 911 gauges including 8k tach, 150 mph speedo and a custom quad combi gauge.

Sounds like your next project after the Spyder is sold. Hmmmm

@edsnova posted:

I was thinking how it would work with one of Carey's mid-engined Subie chassis underneath it. Looks like there's plenty of room under those headrests.

@edsnova posted:

You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.