While it's raining (which has been about a month so far in BC...), I have been working on details. Things that bugged me, and things that now they're done, are barely noticeable to almost anyone. So - I'll post pics and descriptions. At least on this site they'll be appreciated!
First is the doors. That VS elasticized pocket and stitching had to go, and reupholstering a flat panel with flat vinyl isn't hard. While I was at it, I added the piping around the trailing and bottom edges, and also added the rubber flap bit at the back. I also added the chrome strip (which is sometimes present, sometimes not on genuine cars), and added the door pulls. And while I was in there, I made some hinge covers, and added the Reutter badges (I stamped them with the word 'ERSATZ' so there's no debate over authenticity). Oh, and re-profiled the carpet edge and replaced the door handle escutcheons. And painted the aluminum door latch plate :-
Still in the door area, I made up some caps to replace the square VS ones :-
Moving on, but still door-based, I got the wide thresholds from Stoddards. I tried to make my own, but it just wasn't worth the effort! I did make the smaller aluminum profile parts from some scrap aluminum.. :-
And, still focussing on what I can see and touch while driving, I detailed the signal stalk (easily done with a flap wheel on a Dremel, and then polished), and built a horn ring. No, it doesn't function, but it's there... I also painted the column and the steering wheel adapter boss thing (I wasn't keen on the polished aluminum). Also installed a cigar lighter (left of the light switch) which will power my phone & a speaker.
Oh yes - and made a dash pad nd put the grab handle where it should be. I'll redo the pad this weekend now that I know how to do it! :-
Moving on, I installed rear reflectors and relocated the license plate light into the 'proper' place (about 2 inches lower) :-
And then replaced the engine compartment rubber seal with the correct buffers :-
And made a louvered panel to go under the grille. This had been clearanced by the PO to accommodate the CSP shroud, and was completely open to the elements :-
Total cost is still under $500 Canadian, and I feel much better about it all now!