After spending about a month in Ed's world I emerged today.

After widening the slot in the Fiat latch I still couldn't get the post on my deck lid to engage.

So, I devised a new way to attach a cable to my original latch (I ruined the previous attachment).  This required a new, longer cable.  I had to cut off the knob and thread the end for the knob from the old cable.

I installed the old latch but now the deck lid post wouldn't engage it either.  This was very strange because it worked before.

I thought maybe the lid post wasn't going deep enough in the latch slot.  I enlarged the latch mounting holes so I could move the latch up a bit.

Now the latch engaged but it wouldn't release.  So, now I couldn't open the engine compartment.

I removed the grille from the lid and loosened the post.  I wiggled it around a bit. I attached bungee cords from the lid to overhead and pulled the cable and the lid opened.

I moved the little lifting arm and spring from the Fiat latch to my old latch and now all seems to work as it should.

I would be happy to send the bracket and spring shown in a photo I posted earlier in this thread to anyone who would give it a good home.

Michael McKelvey posted:

After spending about a month in Ed's world I emerged today.

After widening the slot in the Fiat latch I still couldn't get the post on my deck lid to engage.

So, I devised a new way to attach a cable to my original latch (I ruined the previous attachment).  This required a new, longer cable.  I had to cut off the knob and thread the end for the knob from the old cable.

I installed the old latch but now the deck lid post wouldn't engage it either.  This was very strange because it worked before.

I thought maybe the lid post wasn't going deep enough in the latch slot.  I enlarged the latch mounting holes so I could move the latch up a bit.

Now the latch engaged but it wouldn't release.  So, now I couldn't open the engine compartment.

I removed the grille from the lid and loosened the post.  I wiggled it around a bit. I attached bungee cords from the lid to overhead and pulled the cable and the lid opened.

I moved the little lifting arm and spring from the Fiat latch to my old latch and now all seems to work as it should.

I would be happy to send the bracket and spring shown in a photo I posted earlier in this thread to anyone who would give it a good home.

You never know when your little improvement will take you over the bend. : )

Add Reply

Likes (0)
Post Content
×
×
×
×
×