This is where I stand. The long block from the CB Perf engine kit is assembled. The Magna Spark disty is in at set at 0* tdc right now. I just sourced the NGK D6EA plugs as recommended. NAPA is bringing in a "6 pack" of Royal Purple break in oil for me. I adjusted the length of the oil pick up for the thin line 1.5 qt. sump. I just ordered a Holly adjustable fuel pressure regulator. It is 1- 4 PSI, factory set at 2.7psi. I saw on the Samba that the EMPI pressure regulator was guaranteed to start an engine fire! I mounted the worst intake castings I have ever seen on the heads. (These things are just pure crap the way they are delivered. I hand flattened the top and bottom surfaces and milled off by hand the over thick material that would not allow them to seat against the cooling tin. For the price of the baby Weber carb kits from CB, you would think they could provide better intake castings. I hope the carbs are machined to better tolerances! I adapted the old generator stand to take my new alternator. I have rebuilt a bunch of stock VW motors in my past, and I thought this kit would be a pretty straight forward bolt together deal. Boy was I wrong. There is lot's of time consuming custom adaptions that have to be done. PM me if you want more detail.
I installed the new tranny yesterday and am ready to bolt up the two new CV/axles. I bought all new CV bolts and plates. I just picked up a nice piece of 18 ga cold rolled steel to replace the lower cooling trim in the engine compartment. My original was 22 gauge and felt like it was aluminum foil! I am going to install the new one with a new bus engine gasket.
This isn't going to be done by Thursday morning. However, we are going to cruise down in my daily driver or perhaps a motorcycle or two....
Once this is finished, I hope to drive it to one of the New England meets or perhaps an Ontario meet if it is close enough. So, See you all in a few days! ;-)