It's been a while since I posted anything on the build of my car so I think it's best to start a new thread. Here's where things stand:
- As Carey said, the first car (P1, his car) is in final assembly while Chuck's car (P2) is about to go into paint.
- Production car #1 (P001), which is mine (YAY!!!!) is slated for delivery in the spring, hopefully in time for the Kiawah Island show and Carlisle.
- Four of the first six production spots are filled, with the remaining two on hold pending test drives.
Here are the basic specifications as released by Carey to those that have expressed interest:
A mid engine tribute to the T6 twin grill coupe, the Beck Super Coupe features a modern square tube chassis, modern suspension, modern steering and modern amenities, all cloaked in a vintage body…
Chassis and suspension design by Chuck Beck.
• 2x4 steel tube chassis with 1x2 lateral bracing and center tunnel.
• Double a frame front suspension with adjustable coil overs. NOTE: For those of you that know Chuck and have followed my limited releases on the Coupe development, you know that this was a LONG part of the development process and we achieved a PROPER suspension geometry with virtually 0 bump steer.
• Inverted a-frame trailing arm rear suspension with 4 link and adjustable coil overs.
• Manual rack and pinion steering.
• Standard Beck steering column with crush coupler.
• Standard Beck 4 wheel disc brakes with available track brake packages made available upon request.
• Silver painted steel 10 slot road wheels,
15x5.5 with tire packages available from original sized 155/80 to modern 195/60. Custom wheel and tire packages available as requested.
Drivetrain and controls
• Mid engine design with interchangeable engine cradles.
• Current engine cradles to accommodate either
a) Subaru EJ253 SOHC 2.5L NA (175hp) mated to your choice of the 5 speed manual or automatic Subaru gearbox. Factory ECU w/ OBD-II diagnostics.
b) Kia 1.6L GDI I4 (135hp) mated to a Kia 6 speed manual or automatic sidewinder gearbox. Factory ECU w/ OBD-II diagnostics.
• Smooth cable shifting.
• Electronic throttle control
• Wilwood brake and clutch pedals mated to a dual circuit 19mm brake master and OEM hydraulic clutch system (Subaru or Kia hydraulics)
• hand laminated FRP body
• basecoat/clear coat paint in your choice of color
• Sealed rear trunk with twin “engine” grills
• Restoration quality taillights and turn signals
• Restoration quality upper horn grills
• Lower fog light panel ducted to front mount custom radiator
• restoration quality twin Hella license plate lights
• restoration quality Hella reverse light
• restoration quality C style hood handle with Beck crest
• proper functional gas filler door on fender
• proper drip rail
• original C front and rear glass
• original C door hinges
• locking door handles w/ key
• Exact copy dash with locking glovebox
• VDO instruments
• 60mm clock
• authentic switches and bezels
• hidden AC/heat controls
• exact reproduction covered dash top insert
• standard leather seats and door panels
• standard German square weave wool carpet
• Cocomat floormats
• Speedster GT seats (optional comfort seats available upon request)
• Exact copy door cards with arm rest
• Electric roll up windows with fixed wing window
• Standard fixed ¼ window, pop out ¼ window available upon request
• Proper headliner with headliner bows/ribs
• C style day/night rear view mirror
• C style sun visors
In addition to the above, we will be custom fabricating to your requests, so if you don’t see something that you desire, just ask.
Production schedule as of 9/12/18
- Prototype 1 (P1) in final assembly, Carey’s car, Subaru EJ253, 5 speed, Harvest Beige/Green
- Prototype 2 (P2) in mechanical assembly prior to paint, Chuck’s car, Kia 1.6L GDI, 6 speed auto, Silver/Red
- Production car 001: Lane Anderson, Subaru EJ253, 5 speed, details TBD, delivery Spring 19
- Production car 002: open, delivers Spring 19
- Production car 003: open, delivers Summer19
- Production car 004: open, delivers Summer 19
- Production car 005: open, delivers Fall19
- Production car 006: open, delivers Fall19
Once the first 6 spots are filled we may schedule a couple winter builds for late ’19 delivery, depending on the rest of our schedule.
Carey and I are discussing the colors and other specs on my car and I will post when firmed up.