Skip to main content

Robert M posted:

27 rooms booked so far. Because it's early the hotel is still giving the reduced rate. As we get closer to the deadline the special price may not be available.

@Dan Stewart has booked a room.

Yay, Shannon will be joining us!!

I mean, yay, Dan and Shannon will be joining us.

@Robert M Ha, Ha, Ha...if you can't see it from there I will show you my one finger salute I am giving you when WE, yes WE arrive in SLO 

Dan Stewart posted:
Robert M posted:

27 rooms booked so far. Because it's early the hotel is still giving the reduced rate. As we get closer to the deadline the special price may not be available.

@Dan Stewart has booked a room.

Yay, Shannon will be joining us!!

I mean, yay, Dan and Shannon will be joining us.

@Robert M Ha, Ha, Ha...if you can't see it from there I will show you my one finger salute I am giving you when WE, yes WE arrive in SLO 

@Dan Stewart

I’ll have to see it in my rear view mirror. Bwaaa Haaaa

Last edited by Robert M
aircooled posted:

I hear Paul is coming too !  Are you both driving your cars over here ?  I won't have a car by then so I'm debating on attending this year.  I will be donating a set of Wind Wings again. Your car would look even better with a set of them to go with your WSW tires. Maybe you'll get lucky at the drawing !  ......Bruce

Hey, buddy...

Looks like Paul and I will both be trailering over, and saving all that mileage for the California scenery...

And I hope I AM lucky at the drawing — your wings are terrific!

**NEWS ALERT**    Deja Vu All Over Again

As of Friday morning, March 8th, Hwy 1 is closed 25 mi. south of Carmel due to weathered related road damage (buckling). CALTRANS gives no estimate as to when repairs might be completed, and the PCH reopened to traffic. Any of you/us who have been looking forward to driving this route from Monterey south to SLO should have a backup plan "B" in place. If June comes around with Hwy #1 still closed, that Plan "B" will certainly become Plan "A".

Remember: Don't kill the Messenger!

Last edited by Napa Paul

Thanks @Napa Paul. Looks like it's the same stretch as the giant Mud Creek landslide in 2017.

Here's a link where we can stay up to date on conditions:

Current State Route 1 Conditions

[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA]
IS CLOSED FROM 10.2 MI NORTH TO 11.6 MI NORTH OF RAGGED POINT INN
(MONTEREY CO) - DUE TO EMERGENCY REPAIRS - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

I don't see the Carmel closure you mention here, so maybe that's already cleared up.

I've done plan "B" a few times, in and out. It's not so bad. I was already planning to sneak back up this year, just for the climb. It's worth it.

Last edited by Ryan (formerly) in NorCal
For sure! The PCH from Carmel to Morro Bay is great, but in a Porsche it's spectacular. I did it in '84 in my '64-1/2 SC in August (you could see Japan) from my house at Pillar Point all the way down to Santa Barbara...in one day!  Ugh!  I thought I was going to die the next day...but at the time (being young and stupid) I thought it was worth it. Being a lot older, but only a little wiser, I now really want to do the short version (Monterey - SLO) in the Speedie. I am familiar with a few of the "go-arounds" and, that said, I hope they will allow a Speedster convoy a way around the right places. With more rains to come, though, in the next 60 days we can only cross our fingers and hope Caltrans gets off their cumulative asses!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, @Terry Nuckels, but I think Paul is a better fit for this role. His eagle eyes spotted an "Hourly Update" feed I missed — and the result is not favorable: Mud Creek area is still closed.

New Bookmark: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/Hourly

HIGHWAY CONDITIONS REPORT AT 0945 HRS ON 3/9/19

SR 1 IS CLOSED FROM 10.2 MI NORTH TO 11.6 MI NORTH OF RAGGED POINT INN (MONTEREY CO) - DUE TO EMERGENCY REPAIRS - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

"Local" news has also picked up the story: https://www.mercurynews.com/20...ek-south-of-big-sur/

The good news is that Caltrans has 90 days to fix it. I'm rooting for them. They're only predicting 1-day to fix. But acknowledge the big landslides happen when the area starts drying out. That's what we'll have to watch for.

Worst case scenario: we jump that lil' pothole!

Last edited by Ryan (formerly) in NorCal

Turning numbers into nouns by putting an article in front is peculiar to So. Cal. You are from Chicago where you take the Dan Ryan Expressway. Or in N.Cal you take I80. Only other place I can think of that treats numbers as nouns is the UK. As in take the M1. When I spend a lot of time in So Cal I succumb to the habit. For this trip we will be taking Hwy 1. Below SLO it is the 1 or more likely the PCH.

This and other worthless pieces of trivia can be yours for a couple of beers. 

I believe this all started in the early days of the So Cal freeway system. All freeways were given names and most still have names today. For example The Pasadena Fwy, The San Diego Fwy, The Golden State Fwy, etc. At some point they became so numerous people shorted the names to numbers but keep the article in front. Imagine navigating LA as an outsider, looking for names without the aid of GPS. Now that is complicated. Given the average speed on The 405 you will have plenty of time. 

I've always thought that a peculiar local vernacular as well, Noel.

Putting "the" in front of the highway number always sounds like football payers who played for "THE Ohio State University", as if there were two and I might get confused otherwise.

In the Midwest (Chicago included) we take "Highway 101" or "101". If it's got a name (like "the Dan Ryan", for example), it'll sometimes get used with "the" in front of it.

Otherwise, we're "out on 74", but never "out on the 74"

Last edited by Stan Galat
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.