Skip to main content

So I've been looking for a simple way to add roll-up windows without cutting into the fiberglass. I've come up with this prototype which seems to be doing the trick! Essentially, it's an extension of the door and works similarly to the 356 GT Windows with their pull straps instead of a regulator. This allows me to not have to fiddle with the roll up mechanism and have the ability to keep the window down or "pull it up."

Anyone else think of something like this? I might just go all the way and build it up. Works great with cardboard and aluminum.

inside

outside

slot

Attachments

Images (3)
  • inside
  • outside
  • slot
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Regarding the door handles -- Yeah, mine are in a terrible spot which limit me to a certain window height (unless I relocate the handle lower).

However, the height is acceptable actually and doubles as a "stop" for the window when it goes down. I have a U shape cut out so that the window goes around the door handle and therefore keeps a good length in the frame and is stable (won't rattle) since most of the window is still in the guides.

I would like to see how they fit with the top up as is. I'm thinking it would not have to be really tight so it would let in some air to keep the windshield clear and keep most of the rain out.  I've driven in the rain with my snug fitting  side curtains in and ended up removing one to keep from fogging up the windshield.

That would be nice Carl, but they would probably need to be custom "heat deformed" for each car, since no two Speedsters are identical.

Originally Posted by Carl Berry CT.:

"power actuated"...never! I get enough sneers from PCA purists as it is.

But I would like to see a detachable lexan window that's been heat deformed to fit against the windshield post of the speedster. Compressed with a tight waterproof fit by a rubber strip,... and locked tight with a wing vent closure.  

My side window front rubber gaskets (CMC stuff) seal adequately along the window frame - I don't get much, if any, moisture getting in there, but I do get some at the very base of the windshield frame which sneaks in at the door opening.  I've modified the leading edge to be much more the shape of the windshield frame (removing that silly bump on the CMC version) so the gasket tube seals much better along the frame and is held in place by a small (1/2" wide) metal clip that guides the window into place when the door is closed.

Mine also don't leak along the top of the side windows unless I'm doing 70+ MPH and get passed by a big truck, then I get a gap at the top and a little spray comes in.  They also allow you to close the door more-or-less the same as a top-down car.....Get in and shut the door - that's about it.

Next year, if I get around to it, I'll be making a new pair of side windows out of 1/4" thick clear Acrylic (up from present 1/8" thick) to make them stiffer and avoid the bowing at high speeds I see now.

Last edited by Gordon Nichols

These are the ones that Carey built for me a couple of years ago.  I stole the airplane vent idea from Lane Anderson, who I think stole it from somebody else.  it really works great on a long trip when you start out early and it warms up along the way.

Notice that Carey heated and curved the plexi for a better fit.

One thing I wanted was a sold metal base so that the mounting pin stress was not directly on the plexi.  There are stainless steel strips inside and outside.

I also wanted the door to open and close easily, pretty good sealing (I mainly use them to keep the cold out in and out of storage and on long trips).

This shot was incomplete.  The Tenax fasteners at the rear of the window were moved inside and tabs were added rearward so that I could snap the top to the side curtains to avoid them pulling back at speed. (Becks have velcro in this area rather than snaps).

This was a first time for Carey, so definitely a development project.  They're very custom since every car and top is different.

Side Curtain

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Side Curtain
Last edited by Tom Blankinship

Maybe this thread will grease some engineering/fabrication wheels amongst clever SOC's.

One of the stumbling blocks to a speedster window production is the slight differences necessitating custom made per vehicle.

WHAT IF... it were a two piece window with a fixed stationary rear half but a sliding front half that would snug up to any windshield posts with some sort of locking mechanism to keep it tight...but capable of sliding back 8 or 9 inches to reach an arm through to pay tolls...Huh?

I seem to recall seeing such a window configuration on a bug eyed Sprite.

Loren,

I like the idea.  i just finished custom fabricating side curtains for my CMC with an aluminum frame inside etc etc and wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.  Lots of measuring and stitching.  Did you put spacers between the door panel and door shell to create the opening and then some sort of felt strip to allow it to move freely up and down?  And will the final material scratch from going up and down?  I've always wondered if it would make sense to make some sort of fixture that attaches to the windshield frame to allow the window material to be essentially straight so as to not have to be as concerned about the front end of the fitment.

Frank

Here's the design ... I drew it super quick, hopefully it makes sense.

Essentially, the rails are adhered to the door panel (not the door itself), so the door panel is a single all contained panel that bolts to the door and uses the mounts from the stock door panel. So, with this design the goal was to NOT drill, NOT cut, and allow for stock to be put back at any time.

Felt was used to reduce friction and scratching.

door-diagram

Forgot to write the brown square -- This is the mount for the strap.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • door-diagram
Last edited by Loren W

Loren, seeing this setup years ago on a hot rod, I've thought about applying it to a Speedster. My Beck door handle is about 11" from the door top, so clearance shouldn't be an issue. My drawing indicates the use of a "pin lock & spring release" type mechanism allowing a set number of adjustments to the window. Like your idea, this setup is applied "over" the existing door card, and would protrude into the cabin not much more than the original door cap. The small Lexan wing/gusset would be affixed to the door rather than the windshield post. Restoration Specialties and Supply (http://www.restorationspecialties.com) offer a ton of fuzzy channels, weatherstrip and trim bits for the project.

VERTICAL-SLIDER-WINDOW

Attachments

Images (1)
  • VERTICAL-SLIDER-WINDOW
Last edited by Monty
Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.