Skip to main content

I just did the 300 mile valve adjustment and oil change on my new VMC

motor. I noticed before doing it it was droping oil. maybe a half dollar size.

After the service, new gaskets etc it slowed to only a drip or 2 after a run.

It looks to me like it may be an oil pump gasket. The one side of the pump cover looks like silicone but the other side doesn't. And it is coming from that area.

Opinions on this would be appriciated, also do they have silicone formed gaskets for the oil pump housing? As always thanks!

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 20240509_110747
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have a VMC that's about 5 months old and it does the exact same thing.  It drips a few drops from where you have it in your picture and I did exactly what @barnocobob said and I have a 3' x 4' cardboard under the engine.  I'll monitor and if it gets worse, I'll look into it more and I check the oil level after every run so I know it's not causing any oil starvation issues - ie dripping a lot more if I'm driving.

I've only ever seen thin paper gaskets for the oil pump and its cover.  Many ensure both are flat by sanding the pump and cover on a piece of glass.  I'd think that silicon sealer would change the gap and affect the oil pressure.  Plus you don't want extra silicon flowing thru your engine. The paper gaskets are coated front and back with Gascacinch gasket sealer or Permatex when put together. 

@WOLFGANG posted:

I've only ever seen thin paper gaskets for the oil pump and its cover.  Many ensure both are flat by sanding the pump and cover on a piece of glass.  I'd think that silicon sealer would change the gap and affect the oil pressure.  Plus you don't want extra silicon flowing thru your engine. The paper gaskets are coated front and back with Gascacinch gasket sealer or Permatex when put together.

Thanks, I think I'll do the paper gaskets w/ sealer. Either way it's silly it started leaking with 60 miles on it. Build quality....

As you can see, we all have had the odd oil leak from time to time and most of us ignore them.  If that's not you and cardboard or plastic under your engine simply isn't chic, before you start pulling things and re-sealing them, do what Carlos (who is a pretty good wrench in his own right) suggests and check the tightening on the lower case bolts and the nuts on the oil pump cover.  You'll likely have to remove the pulley to get at the oil pump cover.

Tightening torques:

Case M12 bolts =  18 ft. lbs.
Case M8 stud nuts = 14 Ft. Lbs. (and no more - It's an aluminum case)

Oil pump cover nuts = 14 ft. lbs

Crankshaft pulley gland nut = 29 - 36 ft. lbs.

@Superuber It's admirable your giving it a shot to try and stop the oil drips completely.  I think most of us just gave up on the idea.  I want to see you succeed. Please keep us posted if it works.

Would be great to have a simple "how-to" list for new owners.
Step 1, replace gasket with...
Step 2, torque the following...

For a new engine my list still looks like
Step 1, epoxy garage floor...
Step 2, subscribe and save oil...

-=theron

My VMC is a bit over two years old with about 4500 miles on the odometer.  I’ve always had a bit of oil weeping somewhere.  Adding improved breathing helped in a few places (I no longer leak at my valve covers) but I always seem to have a bit of oil clinging on bottom surfaces.  Here is a quick snap today after my car has been sitting for about 5 days.  

IMG_9005

While you chase down leak sources, get a proper rug. 😂  

IMG_9006

After a few years, I still don’t see much oil stains on this rug.  Certainly there are a few drip spots, but I really need to look closely to find them. It really doesn’t leak much.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • IMG_9005
  • IMG_9006
@imperial posted:

OK, old wifes tale , true or false ?

take a piece of thick tread and put it on the sealing area of the 2 cases halfs , use the regular gasket sealer ,

The idea is that the thread makes a dam to stop the oil from leaking past .......

True or False ?

Somewhat true. Aircraft engines used to use thin not thick thread on crankcase halves along with some gasket goo regularly. I built up a 2 cyl vw engine with this technique years ago and no leaks.

@Jon T posted:

My VMC is a bit over two years old with about 4500 miles on the odometer.  I’ve always had a bit of oil weeping somewhere.  Adding improved breathing helped in a few places (I no longer leak at my valve covers) but I always seem to have a bit of oil clinging on bottom surfaces.  Here is a quick snap today after my car has been sitting for about 5 days.  

IMG_9005

While you chase down leak sources, get a proper rug. 😂  

IMG_9006

After a few years, I still don’t see much oil stains on this rug.  Certainly there are a few drip spots, but I really need to look closely to find them. It really doesn’t leak much.

At my age I don’t know if it’s the eyes or if it’s the multicolored, dark carpet

Most of these engines DO NOT have a crank "seal". The case has a machined hole of a certain size and the pulley is supposed to be a few thousandths under that. On the end of the crankshaft BEHIND the outside of the case is an oil deflector washer. The crank pulley is actually machined with a spiral groove that actually pushes any weeping oil back inside.

If any measurements are off or changes made to the system(ie: 2332cc) the system tends not to work. This system is designed for maybe 1900cc and low revs. Larger displacements create crankcase pressure problems. Higher revs create more vapors and pressure. It has to go somewhere.

Now, you may in fact have a crank pulley seal, but no type1 ever came with one. You may be able to see it behind the pulley. If not, read the engine spec sheet, or check with your builder. The "slip-in" style is easier to see than the "machine-in" style. The machine seal means the case is machined to accept a seal. The slip-in has a carrier that protrudes from the case. I machined my case to accept the Berg double-lip seal. Mine doesn't leak there. If you get a seal you need to change the pulley too. IMHO, it is important to get a steel pulley hub or an aluminum hub with a steel sleeve pressed on. Aluminum is not hard enough to have an oil seal ride on it.

My engine drips from my oil cooler block off. It also weeps from the oil pump(not stock it is a 2 stage dry sump pump and sticks out about 4 inches). I could fix it, but instead just throw a piece of cardboard on the floor.

I'm not trying to discourage chasing a leak. You may get a drip-free VW, but it is unfortunately unlikely.

The good news is that there is definitely oil IN the engine if there are a couple drops coming OUT!

Last edited by DannyP

Add Reply

Post Content
Link copied to your clipboard.